24 January 2014

C.F. Prime Chophouse & Wine Bar with Guest 'Dancing' Divas!



Left to right front row: Kelle Lynn - Nancy Levenburg - Suzanne Scholl
Left to right back row:  Carla Hill - Melody Vrancken - Bari Johnson




"We, as your friends and neighbors, as foodies, cooks, world travelers, entrepreneurs, and customer relations and business professionals, offer to give you a fair but candid evaluation of our entire dining experience all while we enjoy time together on an evening out." 



C. F. Prime Chophouse & Wine Bar


The Divas decided to head north to Muskegon for our January restaurant review.  Lured by C.F. Prime's fabled "Twosday" special on Tuesday nights, we braved snow and icy roads on January 14th to visit this steakhouse. 

Priced at two entrees for $30, the Tuesday night special features a petite filet mignon, the house salad, and your choice of an "Accessory" (11 side dishes ranging from mashed, baked or sweet potatoes, to vegetables, to macaroni and cheese).  

According to Wikipedia, Filet mignon is French for "cute fillet" or "dainty fillet" and this cut of beef is taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin.  It is known to be the most tender cut of beef and is usually the most desirable and expensive.  

With the exception of Bari, who opted for the Jumbo Seared Scallops as her dinner entree, all of the Divas - plus our three Guest Divas - chose the special.  Because we'd heard that portions were generously sized, we didn't order an appetizer to share. 

Our salads arrived first...beautifully presented on square white plates, with dressing served on the side.  Our filets, which are served with your choice of one of seven mouthwatering sauces, were not to disappoint.  We shared forkfuls of the Accessories around the table.  As our server, Lori, had recommended, the Crispy Brussels Sprouts - sauteed with walnuts, bacon and balsamic vinegar - was to-die-for! 

We enjoyed sharing every bite with our three Guest Divas who, along with the Women's Division Chamber of Commerce in Muskegon, are in the throes of planning a very successful fundraiser - Dancing With the Local Stars!  They put in countless hours to raise money for over 30 Lakeshore-area food pantries.  Since the first show in 2009, they have raised over $311,000 which has benefited thousands of local men, women, and children during tough economic times. 

While talking to Mary Kendall, the WDCC Co-Chair, we learned that the idea to turn her favorite show into a local charity came to her while watching the Dancing With the Stars show on TV one night.  Kendall knew she had to get local dignitaries and people of interest on board in order for the show to be a success.  The first person she asked said, yes, without hesitation, and that was the inspiration she needed to moved forward.  Mary spends an average of 12 hours a day working on the event - from selling tickets, to making phone calls, answering emails, working on event details, attending sub-committee meetings, becoming an event director, and the overall go-to person. 

Mary starts recruiting her 'community stars'  in the summer months, then introduces them at a Meet & Greet event in November.  Every year six female and six male stars are matched with a dance professional and they compete for a People's Choice, Best of Show, and Critics Choice award.  This year the show runs on Thursday-Saturday, February 20-22nd which includes a Saturday matinee. 

In addition, three of the Dining Divas are Dancing With the Local Stars alumni!  Carla Hill danced as a 'community star' in 2011; Bari Johnson in 2012, and Kelle Lynn in 2013!  

We are proud to honor these Guest Diva women in our review!  








Guest Diva *** Mary Kendall, WDCC Co-Chair

A member of the WDCC in Muskegon since 1995, Mary devotes a lot of time giving to the community through various charities.  





Guest Diva *** Karen Mogdics, WDCC Co-Chair

Karen Mogdics has been a member of the WDCC since 2006.  Not only is Karen busy serving the community through the Dancing With the Local Stars fundraiser, she is also the Human Resources Sr. Business Partner with Huntington Bank in Muskegon.  










Guest Diva *** Pro-dancer Francine Kilcrease

Francine Kilcrease has been participating in the DWTLS fundraiser since the beginning as a pro-dancer.  Francine also works full time as the Wellness & Fitness Director and a Dance Instructor for AgeWell Services-Tanglewood Park, as well as a personal trainer at Omni Fitnes Center.  She has been teaching fitness and dance for 31 years and loves to give back to the community by volunteering her time and many talents.  

Picture supplied by Francine Kilcrease with her 2013 dance partner, Chad Dawson.  



Guest Diva *** Dr. Mary Ball, M.D.

Dr. Mary Ball, M.D. of Spring Lake has been involved with the Dancing With the Local Stars cast as a pro-dancer since its inception in 2009.  She's known as the "doctor by day, dancer by night" or the other way around!  Mary is passionate about dance and spends several hours a week training for the Michigan Dance Challenge that will be held in Dearborn in March.

In this photo, Mary is rehearsing with her 2014 DWTLS dance partner, Dr. Reggie Kapteyn, D.O. of Spring Lake at a group practice session.  Dr. Kapteyn is a Physiatrist/Interventional Pain physician at Orthopaedic Associates of Muskegon.  





CF Prime House Salad




CF Prime Petite Filet Mignon with Roasted Garlic Cloves & Olive Oil



Accessory Dish - Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, Bacon & Balsamic




Accessory Dish - Cauliflower Gratinee with Parmesan Reggiano & Bread Crumbs





Accessory Dish - Winter Hash with Butternut Squash, Bacon & Apples






CF Prime House Mac & Cheese with Butter Crumb Topping





Jumbo Seared Scallops Appetizer - $12.99




Creme Brulee





Diva Comments!



Mary Kendall:  "Thank you for the invite and a chance to be with all of you for a wonderful evening of socializing and the sharing of great food!  Yum, I am ready to go back for seconds.  Loved that I was able to share my passion "Dancing With the Local Stars" with some that have never attended the event.  C.F. Prime did a wonderful job with all of our meals.  Our server, Lori, was friendly and knowledgeable.  The service was impeccable.  The steak was very tender and the sides were the best!  Loved the Brussels sprouts and the creamed cauliflower.  I highly recommend C.F. Prime Chophouse!"

Karen Mogdics:  "What a fabulous invite by the Divas!  I upgraded my salad to the warm spinach salad and it was fantastic - very tasty. Due to being careful with a gluten free diet, I had a baked potato with my steak and both were delicious.  I loved the sauce that came with my steak.  I had forkfuls of the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and would order both accessories again.   Overall, it was a great dining experience and wonderful company."

Francine Kilcrease:   "Thank you for inviting me to the C F Prime Chophouse!  The steak was just the right portion size, plus juicy and literally melted in my mouth.  The Brussels sprouts are the bomb - so crispy and yummy.  The cauliflower accessory is one I would definitely order again since it is tasty and healthy.  I thought our server, Lori, was very friendly and efficient.  She was always there to fill our water glasses and kept on top of our drinks.  I need bread when I go out to eat and it was great to choose from fresh sourdough or focaccia bread.  I highly recommend going to C.F. Prime if you are looking for a romantic evening or simply to get dressed up and feel elegant!"   

Dr. Mary Ball:  "Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to C.F. Prime Chophouse on January 14th for our group review.  Originally the Divas invited us to meet them out for a review on Tuesday, January 7th, but a snow storm blew in and we had to postpone.  I dedicate my Tuesday evenings to practicing dance for the competition I'm doing, however, I wasn't able to cancel the one on the 14th. Next time for sure!"  

Suzanne:  "I decided to start my evening out with a Bloody Mary and am pleased to say that it was delicious!  Not only the was the spice level perfect, but it was also decoratively garnished with cheese, olives and cucumbers...practically a meal in a glass.  For dinner, like the rest of the ladies, I chose the filet mignon.  It was tender and cooked just as I like it!  I went with the house salad with Balsamic vinegar as my dressing and I was very pleased with both the quality and presentation!  They uniquely put the finely chopped onions, tomatoes around the perimeter of the plate so that I could mix them at will...perfect!  For my side, I elected the house mac and cheese as a diversion from my usual potato preference.  It was fabulous.  Nancy and I decided to spring for the haystack onions with spicy buttermilk ranch, but were not as impressed with them as we were with everything else we had.  I really enjoyed my visit with all the ladies and would say that this is one of my favorite restaurants so far.  I loved the upscale and cozy warm atmosphere too.  Forks up for CF Prime!"

Bari:  "I thought all the side dishes were very tasty except the with one squash.  That one I wouldn't order.  Just okay, but not to my taste.  The scallops were fat and large, tender, prepared well with an interesting bread/butter pickle aoli on top that was a lovely surprise (I would like to have tasted more of that!). The scallops were served on a small bed of sauteed spinach that was good enough to order again!  I didn't have any wine; however, I did have a scotch and soda that was fine."

Nancy:  "I've already said the the Crispy Brussels Sprouts - sauteed with walnuts, bacon and balsamic vinegar - were to-die-for good, I might add that they were SO good that on my very next trip to the grocery store I bought Brussels sprouts!  So, I'm going to try my hand at creating the same at home...I only wish I had C.F. Prime's recipe!"  

Kelle:  "Ditto with Nancy!  I make roasted Brussels sprouts at home all the time...soaking them in olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning.  But C.F. Prime's are the best I've ever tasted and now I'm going to try my hand at it in my own kitchen.  After our evening out, I told my (vegan) mother that she would love dinner at this elegant steakhouse since she would be happy with the fine selection of "accessory" dishes that are tasty and healthy.  I'm with Bari on the squash.  I was surprised our server, Lori, highly recommended it since no one at the table was crazy about it.  I also agree with Francine that this is a great place to go if you feel like getting dressed up!"  

Carla:  "Love the "Twosday" special!  For my selection, I enjoyed a perfect medium rare petite filet with rosemary scented au jus, crispy Brussels sprouts, plus a side salad.  I added my favorite glass of wine, the Sonoma Cutrer Russian River Ranches Chardonnay.  We shared a creme brulee for the table and it was terrific.  Make plans with a friend for this Tuesday night special for just $30 - that's total for two!"  

  



For Dancing With the Local Stars ticket information call Mary Kendall at (231) 798-4244 or email kendallmarya@gmail.com  

Thursday, Feb 20
Friday, Feb 21
Saturday, Feb 22
Muskegon Harbor Holiday Inn
Cash Bar:  6:30 pm
Hors d'oeurves and cookies: 6:30pm
Showtime:  7:30 pm
Tickets are $40 each

Saturday, February 22
Matinee
Hors d'oeurves and cookies:  12:00 noon
Showtime:  1:00 pm
Tickets are $30 each

Diva tip:  "We heard Friday and Saturday night shows might be sold out, but you'll still be wowed by the Thursday night show and Saturday matinee." 




C.F. Prime Chophouse & Wine Bar
948 West Norton
Muskegon, MI  49441

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 5pm - 10pm
Friday-Saturday 5pm - 11pm
Closed Sunday
www.cfprime.com  

Diva tip:  "The entrance to C.F. Prime is on the west side of the building.  So don't make the mistake of parking on the east side of the building (C.F. Prime's space is adjoining to Pints & Quarts - a sister restaurant), and then having to walk all the way around the building to enter.  Convenient parking is available on the west side; in fact, there's a covered entrance for easy drop-off." 

"If you decide to check out the "Twosday" special at C.F. Prime, be sure to make reservations.  It was a full house when we were there."  



Follow us on Facebook!  http://www.facebook.com/westmichdiningdivas


The Divas want it to be noted, with all due respect, that the views and opinions shared in this venue do not represent those of the Grand Haven Tribune and are entirely based on each individual experience we encounter.  Perhaps on any other occasion, they may differ.  







2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review and evening! Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the scallops justice. It was indeed yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete