26 July 2014

Red Rooster Tavern in North Muskegon with Chef Char!




It's finally summer in this part of the USA and we couldn't resist a drive "up north" again. We know Michigan is considered pretty far north for the rest of the nation, but folks in Michigan still like to say they are going "up north" to their cottage, for a weekend getaway, or in our case for dinner.  We just like the fact that we're going someplace new and different that includes a gorgeous drive. Not hard to find around here.  

We took the Lake Michigan scenic route to get to the Red Rooster which was part of the reason we made this our July dining adventure. Expect to drive on a winding curvy road that is heavily wooded.  Next thing you know there's a break in the woods, and you are so close to Lake Michigan you think you are driving on the beach.  

We were excited that Chef Char was able to join us for dinner at the Rooster.  The last time we had the pleasure of her company was at The Grand Seafood and Oyster Bar in December.  She has a new adventure going on in her life and we were thrilled to hear about it in person.  

The Rooster offers a very casual and laid back atmosphere so it won't be a problem if you stop in after rolling off one of the beautiful beaches that are close by.  They were advertising live music from Wednesday through Saturday.  We chose to dine on a Tuesday night and were disappointed to learn we missed out on the band.  




Egg Rolls with Dipping Sauce ($8) House made with pork, cabbage, peas and soy, wrapped in a wonton wrapper.  Served with a side of sweet chili and soy.

"We thought this appetizer was delicious and would order it again!"







Steamed mussels on a bed of gluten free pasta ($18)

Kelle:  "This entree turned out to be a disappointment since there wasn't any sauce whatsoever!  We assume it absorbed into the pasta.  However, I was glad to see the menu offered a lot of gluten free options and would gladly stop back to the Rooster for a burger or their famed burrito."    






Goat Cheese Salad ($8) with mixed greens tossed in orange vinaigrette, candied walnuts, apples, and three baked panko encrusted pieces of goat cheese.

Carla:  "I wanted something lighter than a hamburger and ordered the salad with goat cheese.  There was a ton of spinach, but it would have been better if the stems had been removed.  The panko crusted goat cheese was very dry.  I'm with Kelle!  Wish I had ordered a burger." 




Quesadilla ($8) flour tortilla shells filled with baby spinach, queso fresco, and the Rooster's homemade sauce.

Nancy:  "My quesadilla was a little boring, though I must confess that I'm a girl who likes spicy foods.  Nevertheless, it was exactly as described (that is, spinach and cheese inside a flour tortilla).  I was hoping it would be a little more distinctive, so I probably wouldn't order it again."

Bari:  "My quesadilla was quite tasty.  Perhaps the chorizo helped add the zip to it.  I'm not sure that I'd order it again, but who knows depending on my mood?  I agree with the comments about ordering a burger next time and definitely when there is music.  My past experiences with the Red Rooster were burgers and bar food with music, hanging out with sailors and others.  I think they should "stick to their knitting" so to speak and not try to be too fancy.  Old "road houses" or whatever they were/are called should consider specializing in good "bar food."  I did have a nice glass of red wine.  Darn, now I don't remember what it was.  I'll have to bring the notebook along."
 

Jack Daniels' burger ($9) with cheddar cheese, bacon, haystack onions, jack sauce.

Chef Char:  "My burger was cooked to the temp I ordered, medium well.  The crispy bacon strips and battered onions added a little crunch and flavor to the cheeseburger.  The jack sauce, which our waiter told me was "Jack Daniels and pineapple juice and other stuff" when I inquired (not that I was asking for the recipe, but his description was only slightly helpful).  I did not see or taste any of the sauce described on my burger when it came, which was disappointing.  Overall, the burger was what I would expect to see served at a bar and it was fully cooked.  The menu offered several other burgers with different and interesting topping combinations that might be worth a try."



The Red Rooster Tavern
2998 Scenic Drive
North Muskegon, MI
231.744.4006


Be sure to like us on Facebook!  www.facebook.comwestmichdiningdivas



The Divas want it to be noted, with all due respect, that the views and opinions shared in this venue do not represent those of the Grand Haven Tribune and are entirely based on each individual experience we encounter.  Perhaps on any other occasion, they may differ.  











1 comment:

  1. There's also public access to Lake Michigan across the street. Makes for a great casual date night--dinner then a stroll on the lakeshore.

    ReplyDelete