28 March 2016

Small Town Sandwich Shop in Spring Lake


At the Small Town Sandwich Shop


If you’re a resident of the Tri-Cities, you’ve likely driven past the Small Town Sandwich Shop a thousand and one times.  It’s the site where Derk’s, FixhX2, Marie’s Diner, and (according to Diva Sharon) an A&W Root Beer stand used to be located (909 W. Savidge Street in Spring Lake).  It’s right across the street from the Holiday Inn.  

But, have you ever stopped in to try one of their delicious sandwiches?  As Kelle, Sharon and Nancy recently discovered, there’s a very good reason that its parking lot seems to always be full!

For our latest dining adventure, we planned to meet at the Small Town Sandwich Shop on Tuesday, March 22, at 12:30 p.m.  But, since Kelle was running late (due to an interview for a film documentary project she’s working on), we actually met at 12:45 p.m., which was smack dab during the lunch hour rush.  So we got a chance to see what things were like at their busiest time of the day.  Fortunately, we found a table (picnic table style with adorable cushions on bench seats) for four, and placed our orders.  

We couldn't help but notice the pay it forward kindness on the wall which made a great impression!  




The Wheel of Good Fortune


Nice



Sweet





Prime Rib French Dip $8
Shaved prime rib, caramelized red onion, white cheddar cheese and horsey mayo served on a hoagie roll with a side of onion soup for dipping.  


Sharon:  "I couldn't help but reminisce when this establishment was the old A&W Drive In 45 years ago.  I had my first Patty Melt served on a metal tray hanging off the side of my car!  Today, I had the Prime Rib French Dip which has the reputation of being one of the most popular of many delicious sandwiches.  I can see why. The au jus was a side of Onion Soup. Best combo ever with prime rib shaved and seasoned perfectly!

To top it off I ordered the Oatmeal Raisin ice cream sandwich which was also delicious.  Homemade cookies with creamy vanilla ice cream. 

The staff is friendly and helpful. The decor fun.  Can't wait to return.  No wonder the parking lot is often full."  







































Nancy:  "Since I had heard that the Small Town Reuben sandwich ($7) was “the best Reuben ever” by more than one person, I decided to give it a try.  It was also listed first on the menu board.  I wondered, would it be possible to beat the Reuben at Hearthstone (since I think theirs is outstanding)?  So, I ordered a Reuben half-sandwich with turkey and a cup of soup ($7).  The Reuben is served with your choice of corned beef, pastrami or turkey, and Swiss cheese, sauerkraut (my choice) or fresh red cabbage slaw, and 1000 Island Dressing on toasted rye bread.  As my soup, I chose the Caramelized Onion with Asiago.  And I also ordered a side of Classic Fries ($2.50) to share at the table, which are French Fries dusted with an interesting seasoned salt.  My total bill came to $10.07, including tax.

Then I realized that I forgot to order a drink.  “Could I have some water, please?” I asked.  The answer: “Sure!  There’s bottled water in the cooler… just help yourself.”  What!?!  Free bottled water???  Impressive!  


Our orders were delivered to our table amazingly quickly, given that all tables were filled and the restaurant was brimming over with lunchtime diners.  And I’m very pleased to report that everything was absolutely delicious!  I’ll definitely plan to return… among the things I’d like to try in the future are their Smashed Guacamole starter ($4), Greek salad ($6), BBQ Pork Melt sandwich ($7), and Perch Dinner ($12). 




Prime Rib Melt $7.50
Shaved prime rib, white cheddar cheese, caramelized red onion and tomato on toasted sourdough bread



Kelle:  "This is my first time at the Small Town Sandwich Shop since I didn't know it was there until Nancy mentioned it one day.  (No doubt I've driven past it 1000 times). I'm all about a great deli sandwich now and then, so I was completely on board to check it out for a lunch review.  It took me a long time to make up my mind since everything looked tempting.  I went back and forth between the Prime Rib Melt and the Cuban, but decided on the Prime Rib Melt since I love toasted sourdough bread.  I also added a side dish of deviled egg potato salad ($2.5).  I'm surprised I haven't been back to try the Cuban yet, but I won't hold out too much longer."



Tips Appreciated



Small Town Sandwich Shop
909 W Savidge St
Spring Lake, MI  49456
Check out their menu (where you can even order online) at: http://www.smalltownsandwichshop.com.


The Divas want it to be noted, with all due respect, that the views and opinions shared in this venue do not represent those of the Grand Haven Tribune and are entirely based on each individual dining experience we encounter.  Perhaps on any other occasion, they may differ.  Our dining experience is entirely at our own expense and not covered by the Grand Haven Tribune or any dining establishment.  

Follow us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/westmichdiningdivas




No comments:

Post a Comment