20 June 2016

Morning Star Cafe with Guest Dr. Mary Ball, MD




We knew we were long overdue for a breakfast review, so we picked an all-time hometown favorite, The Morning Star Café in downtown Grand Haven.  

We checked out Trip Advisor, knowing that an area tourist would do the same, and noticed that Morning Star has a nice 4.5 star rating.  The restaurant boasts an inclusive description of American, Southwestern, Gluten-Free, and Vegetarian cuisine that sounded pretty healthy to us!  

With Trip Advisor reviews like..."Worth the wait" and "Best breakfast I've eaten in Grand Haven", how could you not be tempted?  Plus, we heard they use a lot of fresh ingredients.      

On that healthy note, we decided to invite an intriguing guest, Dr. Mary Ball M.D., who is a family physician in Muskegon.  She is one of those doctors who rarely takes on new patients because she has so many. Recently, she decided to embark on a new adventure that would take her away from the Muskegon area for a short time. She decided to be a part of the "Baby Boomer Tsunami" by accepting a geriatric fellowship at the University of Wisconsin.  We are proud to say that Dr. Ball will be a 66-year old woman rubbing elbows with a class of 30-year old medical students in Wisconsin, but we know she will pull it off and end up being an amazing geriatric doctor and mentor to many.  

We told Dr. Ball that there was no way she was leaving town without a fond farewell from her friends, the Dining Divas. So, she left the rest of the packing to her husband and squeezed in a breakfast with us a mere three days before her big move.  

Needless to say, the conversation was fun, and we still got to sneak in a few medical questions.  We couldn't resist having this extraordinary doctor at the table and getting a few answers to our medical questions over eggs and coffee. Who wouldn't? 

Kelle was the first to arrive at 8:53 am and was seated right away at one of the few empty booths still left.  By 9:10 am the place was packed and the wait had begun.  Keep in mind that this was on a Tuesday morning.  We don't usually go on weekends, so don't hold us to that time frame in case you go on a Saturday or Sunday.

Kelle ordered a pot of chocolate, caramel, and coconut flavored coffee in a carafe. Sharon came in next and insisted on mixing it in with her pot of decaf so she could taste the yummy flavor.  Bari sat down a few seconds later and couldn't figure out why anyone was drinking DECAF at 9:00 am!  Bari is pretty picky about her coffee and frequently prefers the coffee made in her office or home.   

Since the place was extremely busy on a Tuesday morning, we recommend you don't show up starving since there was a little bit of a wait for the food even after we ordered  But, as one of the Trip Advisors commented, it was “Worth the wait!”  




Dr. Mary Ball, MD



Dr. Mary Ball:  " I became aware of some of life's challenges by growing up in a home with hearing-impaired parents. I had married young, had two children, and eventually became a single mom. It was at that time, I decided to go to medical school. 

I graduated from Purdue with a teaching degree, MSU with a medical degree, and GRAMEC Grand Rapids St Mary's for my residency. I've been a family physician for 29 years, and now am off to a geriatric fellowship at the University of Wisconsin to be part of the "Baby Boomer Tsumani" that is on the horizon.  Because I seem to do every thing later in life, I'll be the only 66-year old in my class with other 30-year old students!  But, I am up for the challenge and look forward to returning to Spring Lake to treat geriatric patients with more complex medical needs." 





Mary:  "I'm grateful to the Dining Divas for asking me to join them.  It was a little down to the wire with me leaving town a few days later, but it was a nice send-off.  As Bari pointed out, I am not a foodie!  I eat only because I have to, little bits at a time to keep my energy level going.  This isn't the first time I had the Naked Benny ($8.50) made with baby spinach and avocado slices topped with two poached eggs, house made roasted tomato salsa and avocado cream sauce. I got it because it's low-carb, healthy, and satisfying. The only downside for me is that I found the Morning Star a little too busy for my comfort level.  I like it quiet enough to easily converse with my friends."




Sharon:  "Morning Star Cafe is a small gem and favorite breakfast spot in Grand Haven.  Themed in Southwestern style and colors, it is a fun place for a creative breakfast or lunch.
We arrived on a Tuesday morning with our guest, Dr. Mary Ball, and enjoyed chatting with her as we ate our delicious breakfast .
I ordered The Jeffery, which is a variation of Eggs Benedict served with avocado and bacon on a perfectly toasted English muffin.  It came with either potatoes or fresh fruit for $8.75.The coffee that morning was chocolate, caramel, and coconut flavored served in a carafe along with iced lemon water.
On the weekends, the line waiting to get tables spills out onto the sidewalk. . . No surprise when the food is so incredible!! Can't wait to go back!"


Kelle:  "I am normally a stay-at-home, protein smoothie breakfast type, but getting out in the morning to meet fun people accompanied by great conversation and food is a nice way to start the day, too.  I've been asking Mary (Dr. Ball) for the past few years to join us on a Dining Diva review and noticed when she's not doctoring, she's dancing or spending time with her beloved dogs and husband.  So, I felt honored when we finally got to spend a few hours with her before she left town.  She told me that breakfast is the best time for her to get away, and we thought Morning Star would be a nice fit.  

I ordered the Veggie Breakfast Quesadilla ($8.95) that came with chorizo, green chilies, onion, habanero cheese, & black bean puree folded into whipped eggs inside a tomato tortilla. It was topped with cilantro sour cream and home-made roasted red pepper sauce.  I could only eat half of it and took the other half home.  I don't like really spicy food, so I was happy that this dish had just enough spices for flavor.  With the combination of Southwestern décor and the cuisine, it felt like we were out West versus in downtown Grand Haven."

Bari's cuppa coffee





Bari:  "Everyone was enthusiastic about our trip to Morning Star for breakfast. However, my excitement was really for spending time with Dr. Mary Ball, who is leaving on a new adventure in medicine, specializing in caring for our aging population.  And, of course, to talk a bit about dancing, a love we both share. 

In full disclosure, though I do like breakfast, I am not fan of early breakfast or large breakfast meals. My first order was dark roast coffee, which brought an interesting conversation about coffee in restaurants compared those in our offices or homes. Coffee at either our office or home wins because restaurant coffee seems to be made for the masses. Morning Star offered a nice dark roast option; it was very nice, and I would order it again. "Kelle's" flavored coffee would not be on my order list unless it is accompanied with a shot of liquor and/or espresso! 

I wanted something simple without sauces or potatoes. I ordered two basted eggs (though, I believe they came poached) with marbled rye toast and fruit. I was surprised that only one slice of toast came on the plate. Perhaps, I should have asked about that, but it didn't cross my mind. My toast and eggs were warm, not hot, but enjoyable. The fruit was fresh and just the right amount. (Coffee, two eggs, toast, and fruit were under $10.) I enjoyed my breakfast, but the conversation really made the experience." 



"We were offered a selection of breakfast desserts as the grand finale."


Morning Star Cafe
711 Washington Avenue
Grand Haven, MI
Hours:  6:30 am - 2:30 pm




The Divas want it to be noted, with all due respect, that the views and opinions shared in this venue do not represent those of the Grand Haven Tribune and are entirely based on each individual dining experience we encounter.  Perhaps on any other occasion, they may differ.  Our dining experience is entirely at our own expense and not covered by the Grand Haven Tribune or any dining establishment.

Follow us on Facebook:
hppt://www.facebook.com/westmichdiningdivas 




No comments:

Post a Comment