10 July 2017

Bear Lake Tavern in North Muskegon - June 2017

Hoby Thrasher's New Bear Lake Tavern
360 Ruddiman Drive
Muskegon, MI  49445


Arrive by car or boat!  

Bari's entree
Our Most Excellent Dining Adventure...

"It's been years since I’ve eaten at the Bear Lake Tavern (BLT). It was time, particularly since the recommendation came from friend, Ken Lahey. I wasn't disappointed, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The energetic atmosphere of the BLT, even at 6 pm, hasn’t changed from the past. Although we had a reservation, we had a choice of tables inside or out. (The outside seating faces Ruddiman not Bear Lake so it didn't appeal to us.)

We chose a table for six even though we were only three. (Friends from Grand Haven almost joined us; however, they got their table just after sitting down.) The table location was good: we were in a corner, we could see people coming in, and we weren’t in the middle of the restaurant. Our first order of business was ordering drinks while looking over the menu and wallboard. The BLT has a nice wine list; I ordered the La Crema Chardonnay ($9). It paired nicely with the Fried Green Tomato appetizer with a pesto-like dipping sauce ($7) we shared. 

The next decision was to choose an entree. What interesting choices in addition to the burger and sandwich side of the menu! I chose a new menu item, “Great Lakes Baby Walleye, 8 oz. golden fried like our perch or sautéed without breading, French fries, lemon, tarter sauce, and coleslaw.” ($17) I chose the sautéed version. The fries were perfectly crispy as requested. (I did have help eating them from Kelle and Sharon.) The tarter sauce was good; however, the light seasoning on the sautéed filets made them tasty on their own. I savored every bite of them, saving one to take home. 

Oh, there were a few bites that went to the other Divas. I'm still smiling about the meal and would order it again! I also enjoyed bites of Kelle and Sharon's entrees as well.

Before finishing my yummy meal, I ordered the house Chardonnay ($5.50) that was particularly good for the price.

While enjoying my wine, Kelle and Sharon ordered dessert. However, I don't remember what it was because I didn't have any. It was probably something chocolate. They ate and I sipped!" 

[Though the BLT was busy, our server didn't rush us as we enjoyed our dining experience. Surprisingly, there were a number of people there that I knew. It's a good thing we weren't trying to "hide out"!]

Note: Ruddiman is 25 and 30 mph.


Sharon's entree

"The Dining Divas recently enjoyed an absolutely fantastic, casual Saturday evening dinner at the BLT, a landmark since 1929.  Located between Muskegon Lake and Bear Lake, it is a pretty drive accessible either by boat or car.  

Bari and Kelle chose a perfect table past the foyer and near the entrance, which gave us a view of customers coming and going.  We even noticed a few nice looking men we referred to as "eye candy"!  (Did I just say that!)  

Bari had some friends stop by to chat and everyone commented on the wonderful food.  We hadn't been to the BLT in several years, and the "word on the street" was that we wouldn't be disappointed!  In fact, we were thrilled with our dining experience!  

I enjoyed two vodka cocktails ($2.75 each) with our shared appetizer of Fried Green Tomatoes sautéed in olive oil and lightly breaded for $7.  For my entree, I was anxious to try modern stone-age cooking - and let me tell you - it was incredibly delicious!  After a nicely chilled crispy mixed green salad, our server, Stacie, who was terrific and patient, brought me a plate with a 700 degree lava rock sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.  On the side of the rock were raw, sliced tenderloin Filet Mignon medallions and two of the most delicious sauces ever to pass my lips:  a stroganoff "gravy" and creamed horseradish.  The sides were fresh steamed vegetables and yellow rice, all for $19!  

At the end of this delicious Lava Rock cooking experience, I said wistfully, "I wish I had another stomach," as I would love to have eaten a second entree - it was THAT good!  If you prefer, you can order one of their great array of sandwiches and other menu items.    Kelle and I shared a dessert:  a hot fudge sundae for $6, where we came close to licking the plate!  

Finally, this is such a casual fun restaurant that I will return to again and again, as the menu choices are truly outstanding - especially the "Lava Rock" which I had only experienced in a top Chicago restaurant until now.  Way to go North Muskegon!"


Kelle's Entree

"Sharon and I were out one night having one of our high-top dinners when we happened to glance at a Facebook post of Ken Lahey at the BLT.  His response to Bari's question of his dining experience said, "it was well worth it".  So, we looked at each other and had no doubt this was going to be our next dining adventure.  We were excited to go to what seemed like a new establishment, even though all of us have a long history with the BLT.  Our history was a topic of table conversation as soon as we were seated.  

We played it safe and decided to make a 6 pm reservation on a Saturday night.  We were told it would start getting busy around 6:30 pm and that's exactly what happened. 

Deciding on an entree wasn't easy since the menu has quite a nice selection, but I chose the "Black and Bleu Halibut with bleu cheese crumbles, mashed potatoes, with stroganoff gravy, fresh steamed vegetables." ($25)  In my opinion, the picture doesn't do it justice.  I love bleu cheese, and have had it on steak, but never fish.  (How did that happen?) I couldn't wait to try it and must say I absolutely LOVED the combination.  I would gladly order it again, but there are many other selections I would like to order as well.  Like Bari said, we did take bites of each other's entrees, which is always fun.  Her french fries were perfect and irresistible! 

The drive out to the BLT was really nice.  For some reason,  I felt like I was on a mini getaway adventure.  But I knew we weren't far from home when half of the people walking in the door knew Bari and stopped by our table for a quick visit.  

We had a lot of quirky conversation topics that night, but I have to admit that Sharon wishing she had a second stomach was the best of all!  

Just a heads up... Sharon mentioned that a week or so later she drove to the BLT with a group of friends to have lunch and found out they are closed on Mondays.  

We give the BLT a big "forks up" and look forward to going back!"




The Divas want it to be noted, with all due respect, that the views and opinions shared in this venue do not represent those of the Grand Haven Tribune and are entirely based on each individual dining experience we encounter.  Perhaps on any other occasion, they may differ.  Our dining experience is entirely at our own expense and not covered by the Grand Haven Tribune or any dining establishment.  


Follow us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/westmichdiningdivas  









1 comment:

  1. There's something immediately dignified about this venue - it is beautifully designed, tasteful, and understated. Went to this comfy event space recently, just the right temperature, good food and great experience.

    ReplyDelete